Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 minutes/2 ½ -6 hours (slow cooker)
Yield: 6-8 servings
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 yellow onion, halved and sliced thinly
1 red or yellow bell pepper, halved, seeds and ribs removed, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly or put through garlic press
1 cup Quick Roasted Tomato Salsa
1 tsp. fine sea salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1. Place chicken breasts, sliced onion, and sliced bell pepper into Instant Pot and add all other ingredients on top.
2. Stir all ingredients together with large spoon, or “squoosh” it all together with your hands (my preferred method) until fully combined. Spread chicken out into a single layer.
3. Lock Instant Pot lid and press the “Manual” or Pressure Cook” button and then set time to 7 minutes - it should default to high pressure. If you are using a slow cooker, set it to low for 6 hours or high for 2 ½ -3 hours.
4. When chicken is finished cooking, manually release pressure on Instant Pot. Once pressure is released, remove lid and transfer chicken to a bowl right away to prevent over cooking.
5. You can use two forks to shred the chicken (and get an arm workout!), or cut each breast into slightly smaller pieces and place in mixer with paddle attachment and a bit of the cooking liquid. Start mixer at low speed and increase to low-medium for about 30 seconds.
6. Almost instant shredded chicken!
7. Add remaining cooking liquid back to chicken and serve over cauliflower rice or on lettuce wrap tacos with your favorite fixin’s!